Sunday, January 15, 2012

Blog Maintenance....Not one of my strengths.

I wish I had more time. Or, I wish blogging was more convenient. Like, I could do it while teaching a math lesson to my students or while studying to go back to school. Blog writing...not something to include in my repertoire of strengths.

I envy those people who can sit down at the computer and produce a beautiful, prolific piece of writing. Me? I teach math. Give me a math problem. Heck, give me something to do with science. But, when it comes to writing-- I am all out of ideas.

I try though. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat down at my computer to write another entry to this blog. I have written, erased, re-written, deleted...and this process just continues. It has continued....since August.

I have several commitments that I make that I default on....like my gym membership. I loathe going to the gym. I love running outside. I love going for a walk with my husband and dogs. It's not exercise that I hate. It is just something about a gym that causes nightmares for me. Don't get me wrong, I continue to pay the monthly fee. And I suppose I like to consider myself "in shape" because I at least have a gym membership. But, similarly to may blogging weakness, I have a gym weakness.

Not too long ago, my mother told me that "it takes doing something 7 times repeatedly (in a row) to create a habit." I find this to be great advice. I don't know if this would be considered scientifically proven, so don't quote me. But, what a great building block to creating habits that you would like to make permanent staples in your life. I imagine everyone has things they would like to change about themselves. I have several. Actually, I have more than several. I completely understand that I am an imperfect person. (However, my dogs believe me to be quite wonderful.)

Don't get confused. This is not a blog about a New Year's Resolution. This blog is about taking baby steps, repeating things 7 times (or more) to create the habits that you would like to have in your life. I wish I could maintain this blog and write interesting things. I would like to use my gym membership regularly. I would like to work hard every day at school for my kids and  leave by 4:00 to play even harder with my husband. I would like to really learn to play my guitar well. I would like to finish my workshop for my jewelry making. I would like to keep my house clean and my laundry mountains minimal. Habits.....great habits.

So, blogging, laundry, the gym....You gotta start on day one, right? One day down, only six more to go.......

No comments:

Post a Comment