Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Exercising the Right Brain...

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been fulfilling my life's "to do" list which consists of art, music, furthering my education and traveling. While this is a work in progress, I wanted to share with everyone a little of my creative exploration from this summer.

While rummaging downtown in Athens' Agora Vintage Consignment shop, I was asked if I would consider selling some of my jewelry and art work. Well, I am not entirely sure that I am confident enough to sell my pieces, I have thoroughly enjoyed flirting with the idea. Thus, below is my first logo.

This summer I created the monogrammed notecard (inside the frame) while partcipating in a silk screen printing workshop. I started by sketching my initials and the love birds. Once I had my sketch the way I wanted, I painted the sketch onto a wooden silk screen frame using a blue waxy substance. After the whole silk screen printing process (and I skipped a lot to spare everyone the details), I was able to choose the colors I wanted for my monogram. The above print was only the second print I had ever made. Not too bad for a beginner silk screener....

Surrounding my silk screen print, are various pieces of jewelry hand crafted by yours truly. While I am still learning all the tricks of the trade, I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed creating each piece. The most difficult part of making jewelry to me, is creating pieces that other people would wear and not just myself. I tend to love earthy tones and raw stones.

Silver plated monogram "G" with Lime Green Oval Stone and Glass Bead

I am trying to venture away from just making pieces for myself (as my husband is worried that we won't have anymore room in our walk-in closet) and start designing jewelry with a buyer in mind. Below are some of my first pieces. Please let me know which ones you like or if you have any constructice criticism for me.


          Amber Stone and Sterling "Snowflake" Design Necklace

         
                        Cobalt Glass Bead Dangles


         
                   Copper and Silver Beaded Earrings


I am super excited as I have signed up for a Jewelry Making course offered through the University of Georgia's Continuing Education Center. For those of you in the Athens area that are not familiar with courses they offer, here is the link: UGA's Continuing Education Personal and Professional Courses. They offer everything from a Spanish Certification, Painting, Photography, Jewelry Design, Music, to Drama. It's pretty amazing. They also offer several Professional Development courses. You should definitely check it out.

  
                  Cerulean Glass Everday Earrings

    
                 Cobalt "Create" Silver Necklace


My 5th grade students and I began making earrings last year as a way for us to raise money for a 3 day and 2 night trip to the Georgia 4-H Center at Jekyll Island. The trip is expensive and many of my students cannot afford the trip. Of course we have sold doughnuts, done the car wash thing, written persuasive letters to local companies, but none of the parents or kids were really excited about having to raise money. The fundraising had become another chore to them (and me).

So, after talking with one of the Special Education teachers, we decided to turn jewelry making into the 5th grade fundraiser. We taught the students how to make earrings and provided them with tools to create their designs. It was amazing. The kids were giving up their recesses and lunch time to make earrings to sell.

Also, they practiced their persuasive strategies (part of the 5th grade Literacy Georgia Performance Standards) in real life when we sold our hand crafted jewelry during the Open House of our new school, Parent-Teacher conferences and to their peers during their lunch times. Finally, we found a fundraiser that parents, teachers and students were excited about! And because everyone was truly invested in the fundraiser, we raised over $500!

                 
  Turquoise Stone and                          Turquoise Stone and
  Silver Leaf Earrings                        Silver Tear Drop Necklace


          
    Black Onyx Beads and Silver Leaf Pattern Stamped
                        Charm Necklace



But, back to my Intermediate Jewelry Design course. I am really excited to set stones and work with different metals. I have started flirting with wire wrapping, but I don't feel like I have completely mastered all that I can with it.  I want to learn more! As my wire wrapping abilities improve, I will definitely post my new creations.


    
                 Copper and Silver Wire Wrapped Necklace

        
            Brown and Cream Multi-Strand Beaded Necklace
                      with Antique Cowgirl Charm

I have approximately 2 weeks until school begins and I intend to make the most of every single day. In fact, I have been searching ebay, etsy and other websites looking for my very own silk screen frame. I already have a few sketchs that I am excited to put on paper and possibly cloth material.

I have also been looking into Artini's or Pints and Paints. I would love to get together a few of my good friends, a bottle of wine and do some painting. If you are in the Athens area and want to join me, let me know asap!

The last few pictures are more of the silk screen prints and random jewelry shots that I have made. Enjoy! And again, I welcome your praises as well as your constructive criticisms! :) Now, go and play with your own right brain and create something beautiful!












1 comment: